Children and Youth Sidewalk Sale
Young people are bursting with artistic energy. The Children and Youth Sidewalk Sale of the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts is a fun way for boys and girls to express themselves visually. The Children and Youth Sidewalk Sale encourages the creative growth of young people. We believe they can develop their artistic potential through personal expression in individually crafted, original objects.
The Children and Youth Sidewalk Sale is a centerpiece of Children and Youth Day, Wednesday, July 13, 2016. This day features performances for and by young people, art and craft workshops and demonstrations, and a Grand Procession through the Festival site.
Artists aged 8 through 18 who live in, or have relatives in the following counties – Blair, Centre, Clearfield, Clinton, Huntingdon, Mifflin and Union – are eligible to participate.
Children and Youth Sidewalk Sale rules prohibit the sale of work made from kits, offensive and defensive weapons, the sale of services like face painting or hair braiding, and the use of trademarked characters, like the Nittany Lion, in artist’s work, and the sale of food. All work must be original. A complete listing of the rules can be found below and in the application.
The application deadline was June 24, 2016.
Important Information for 2016
Click on the + below for rules and other participation guidelines.
1. All artists must be between the ages 8 and 18 and live or have relatives living in any of the centrally located Pennsylvania counties (Blair, Centre, Clearfield, Clinton, Huntingdon, Mifflin and Union) to participate.
2. The artist must design and make all work. Work made from kits is not permitted. This includes items such as balloon yo-yos.
3. Artists must personally attend to their booths and must be present during the entire day. Representatives, including family members, may NOT attend in place of the artist.
4. Only items described in the application or shown in submitted photographs may be displayed.
5. Artists may not use their booths to display samples of items to be delivered later. Sales should be on a “cash and carry” basis.
6. All artwork must be original and age appropriate for for the event’s audience, much of which is under 18 years old.
7. The following are absolutely prohibited:
- Services such as face painting, hair braiding, nail painting or flower arranging; on-site personalization and monogramming of work
- The sale of food
- Use of licensed, trademarked, or copyrighted characters or names (e.g., no use in any way of the Penn State name, the Nittany Lion, Disney, or other animated characters, team logos or similar names on any artwork or craft); trademarks and logos should not be intact on products made from recycled materials
- The sale of offensive and defensive weapons, including toys and facsimiles, is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, the sale of rubber band guns, pop-guns, swords, shields, light sabers, bows and arrows, items that launch a projectile, and Nerf weapons
- Graphic depictions of violence or nudity
- Games involving prize-winning or raffles
- Activities that require the purchaser to assemble the product
- Additions to applications after submission
- Commercial banners hanging in artists’ booths
The CPFA reserves the right to request to the removal of work that is not consistent with the original application or that is in violation of CPFA rules. Failure to comply with a request to remove work may jeopardize the right to participate in future CPFA activities.
1. Booths should be simple and functional.
2. Booths are ten feet wide. They may not extend more than eight feet into the center of the street.
3. Booth set-up and tear-down should take no longer than one hour with minimal adult help.
4. Each artist must provide a table, chairs, and any other materials necessary for display.
5. Space is assigned based on postmark or delivery date of completed application.
6. If you wish to have your booth next to a friend’s booth, you must submit both applications in the same envelope.
The CPFA Office will send you a confirmation packet and parking pass after July 1, 2016. Please do not call the Festival Office regarding your application status before that date.
We must keep the center of the street free of obstructions for emergency vehicle access. Booths may not extend more than eight feet from the curb line into the center of South Allen Street. We will be able to accommodate a limited number of 10’ by 10’ tents, as long as they do not extend more than eight feet into the street. In other words, the rear tent legs will have to be placed on the sidewalk or grass behind the booth.
Ten by ten tents will not fit in certain spots because there are obstructions, such as street lights, signs, and trees, which prevent a tent from being moved back the required two feet. Accordingly, please indicate on your application if you intend to bring a ten by ten tent.
1. Complete both portions of the entry form. A parent/guardian’s signature is required.
2. On a separate sheet, provide a brief description of the artwork and the materials used. Do not send samples; they cannot be returned.
3. Enclose at least one photograph of your work.
4 If you wish to be next to a friend, both applications must be submitted in the same envelope.
5. Mail application, photo of your work, and check to CPFA.
Children and Youth Sidewalk Sale
Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts
P.O. Box 1023
State College, PA 16804
The application postmark deadline is June 24, 2016.
Applications postmarked after June 24 will not be accepted. Applications may be hand delivered to the Festival office, 403 South Allen Street, Suite 205A, State College until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 24, 2016.
Children and Youth Sidewalk Sale exhibitors may order a t-shirt specially designed for Children and Youth Sidewalk Sale exhibitors by State College illustrator Anni Matsick. This shirt is available exclusively to Children and Youth Sidewalk Sale exhibitors. They are available in youth and adult sizes small, medium and large, and adult extra large. Price: $15.00 each. Shirts will be available for pickup at the Children and Youth Sidewalk Sale on July 13, 2016.
ALL SHIRTS MUST BE PRE-ORDERED